[ovirt-users] Unable to get volume size for domain ... after engine upgrade 4.0.4

Claudio Soprano Claudio.Soprano at lnf.infn.it
Thu Nov 10 16:25:16 UTC 2016

Hi Bertrand,

I solved the problem recovering from old snapshots when possibile (for
some VMs i didn't find the LVs on the VG)..

I discovered that usually the volume ovirt couldn't get the size, was
not resident on the VG.

Don't ask me why this happens or when (i'm sure it began on ovirt-3.6
maybe with version 3.6.7, i'm not sure that i had the 3.6.5), i only
know that almost all the last snapshots were not resident on the same
VG, in some way the machine was running ok up to I shut it down, then no
volume anymore.

Luckily i could recover the VMs from previous snapshots mounting LVs
manually, then with qemu-img convert creating a raw image and the last
using dd with netcat to copy on new VMs with the same features (RAM,
disk, etc.) of the original VMs.

We have about 250 VMs, about 150 have snapshots, I recovered manually
about 100 VMs, some from snapshot when clone or export worked, but
mostly using the method described.

I investigated and discovered that in some way the info on Ovirt-DB were
right, but physically on the snapshots were wrong pointing to different
VM parent-snapshots or having missing snapshots.

If you need some help let me know, but repeat i'm still recovering old
VMs, moving them to a new Datacenter.

Claudio

--

Claudio Soprano                phone:  (+39)-06-9403.2349/2355
Computing Service              fax:    (+39)-06-9403.2649
LNF-INFN                       e-mail: Claudio.Soprano at lnf.infn.it
Via Enrico Fermi, 40           www:    http://www.lnf.infn.it/
I-00044 Frascati, Italy