[ovirt-users] Ovirt 4.0.5 how to import an OVA appliance

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 13:29:47 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Maton, Brett <matonb at ltresources.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I downloaded an OVA image from OpenVAS but I can't import it into ovirt,
> any suggestions ?
>
> engine-image-uploader -e Export upload /tmp/OpenVAS-8-DEMO-1.0.ova
> WARNING: ovirt-image-uploader is deprecated in 4.0 and will be removed in
> 4.1
> Please provide the REST API password for the admin at internal oVirt Engine
> user (CTRL+D to abort):
> ERROR: not a gzip file

Unfortunately, OVA is a generic term describing a container for a VM/group
of VMs definitions but it is implemented in different ways.
>From OpenVAS website it seems their OVA format is for Virtualbox >= 4.3...
correct?

You could try to export the disk file/s with VirtualBox command line tool
VBoxManage (never tried myself):
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html

Or eventually follow what described in this thread, that implies to import
the OVA into a VirtualBox environment and then re-export it for oVirt with
the steps described:
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2015-December/036371.html

HIH,
Gianluca