[ovirt-users] vm nic 10g

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 08:57:34 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 9:24 AM, qinglong.dong at horebdata.cn <
qinglong.dong at horebdata.cn> wrote:

> Hi, all:
>         I have an ovirt 4.0.5 environment. There is a 10g nic in the
> host. I have created a vm which uses the 10g nic. The type of the nic is
> virtio. Then I got a 1g virtual nic in the vm. Now I want a 10g virtual nic
> in the vm. Is it possible? Anyone can help? Thanks!

Did you make any performance test to evaluate real performance?
What is the qemu-kvm command line generated by your oVirt?

I see in my 4.0.5 environment with 1Gb/snic/vnic, it is something like this:

 -netdev tap,fd=24,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,vhostfd=28 -device
virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=00:1a:4a:16:01:58,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3

According to this link below, this syntax should give you 10Gb/s
performance.... I don't have a 10Gb/s to verify though at my side... ;-)

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/10G_NIC_performance:_VFIO_vs_virtio

Gianluca