[ovirt-users] How to update ovirt on a single-host hosted-engine host

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Nov 25 16:59:24 UTC 2016

HELP!!!

I just did this, but now my storage isn't showing up!  According to
"mount", only the HE domain is mounted, but none of my other domains
mounted.  Running 'hosted-engine --connect-storage' does not seem to mount
the storage domains.

If I bring the engine up, it still wont access those domains.  And indeed,
now the host is showing up as non-responsive to the engine.

on the host, I see:

[root at ovirt-0 ~]# hosted-engine --vm-status

--== Host 1 status ==--

Status up-to-date                  : True
Hostname                           : OVIRT-0{.dom.ain}
Host ID                            : 1
Engine status                      : {"health": "good", "vm": "up",
"detail": "up"}
Score                              : 3400
stopped                            : False
Local maintenance                  : False
crc32                              : 76ac9280
Host timestamp                     : 985
Extra metadata (valid at timestamp):
	metadata_parse_version=1
	metadata_feature_version=1
	timestamp=985 (Fri Nov 25 11:35:39 2016)
	host-id=1
	score=3400
	maintenance=False
	state=EngineUp
	stopped=False

So the host seems to think the engine is up.

I can't mount the storage from the UI because the engine claims the host
is non-responsive.  Not surprisingly, this appears to be due to a
networking issue that I didn't have before the update.  Indeed, the engine
can't reach the host, even though I can reach both (and the host can reach
the engine).  Did the host update somehow change the iptables
configuration?  It doesn't look like it.  But I'm not sure why the network
isn't working now when it was working before the update.

So, now what do I do?  I suppose I can check my host backup from last
night and see if I can see anything different in the vdsm configs?

There are two problems to solve:

1) Host doesn't mount my storage
2) Engine can't reach host via network.

HELP!

-derek

On Fri, November 25, 2016 9:53 am, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi Simone,
>
> On Fri, November 25, 2016 4:34 am, Simone Tiraboschi wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>> So what IS the process to properly update a single-host host?  My guess
>>> is:
>>>
>>> * shutdown all the VMs
>>>
>> * go into global maint mode (what IS the difference between global and
>>>   local?)
>>> * shutdown the engine/engine VM
>>> * yum update on the host
>>> * restart services (or reboot, I guess)
>>> * bring the system out of maintenance mode
>>>

>> shutdown or hibernate all the other VMs.
>> set global maintenance mode to avoid ovirt-ha-agent trying to restart
>> the
>> engine vm
>> shutdown the engine VM (from the host CLI) with hosted-engine
>> --vm-shutdown
>
> This is in lieu of "shutdown -h now" from the engine VM?  (i.e., will this
> perform a clean shutdown from within the VM?)
>
>> yum update
>> restart services
>
> So I don't need to run a host equivalent of "engine-setup"?  Great.
>
>> bring the system out of global maintenance mode: in a couple of minutes
>> the
>> HA agent should restart the engine VM
>
> Perfect.  Thanks.  I'll go test this shortly.
>
> -derek
>
> --
>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        derek at ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745