[ovirt-users] Spurious reboot?

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Sat Nov 26 19:11:09 UTC 2016

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 7:02 PM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Last night at approximately 22:03 (give or take a few minutes) my
> single-server ovirt system rebooted.  I saw a root login (presumably from
> the engine) and then the host rebooted.
>
> I don't see anything specific in the logs that would indicate WHY it
> rebooted.
>
> Any suggestions for where to look or what to look for?  I had updated the
> host yesterday to 4.0.5 and did reboot the system myself several times.  The
> good news is that I succeeded in getting my scripts working so all my VMs
> came back.  But before I go and deploy anything mission critical I'd like to
> determine why the system decided it should reboot.
>
> Suggestions?

One reason for reboot is loosing access to storage on the spm host. sanlock
would terminate vdsm, and if it could not terminate vdsm it will
reboot the host.

To check for this you can look into /var/log/sanlock.log

Another reason may be engine trying to do soft-fencing because it cannot
restart vdsm. Looking in vdsm log you can find if vdsm was restarted, and
in engine log you should find logs about this.

Are you sure you don't have any cron job or some other code that is
configured reboot the host?

Nir