[ovirt-users] Problem with adding more users - engine-manage-domains is missing

Ondra Machacek omachace at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 11:02:35 UTC 2016

On 11/29/2016 01:47 PM, Martin Kozl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not really sure this is the right way to contact oVirt support or
> anything like that, but I would like to ask about something I have a
> problem with.
>
> I have my oVirt server up and running, virtualiaztion works fine,
> console is wokring and everything so the next logical step would be
> adding more users, because I am still stuck with admin user and nothing
> else. I've done my research and discovered you need to use
> engin-manage-domains to add extra domain which would host users for you
> and then you just load them in your oVirt enviroment and assign roles to
> them. However, on my server, nothing like engine-manage-domains exists,
> it only shows "command not found". I googled and found out that this
> service is automaticly isntalled when you install oVirt engine, but
> nothing like that happened on my server. I tried to reinstall, but the
> service is still missing. When installing, there are no fails or missing
> repositories. What are my options? Also, do I need another server for
> the storage of users or can it be running on the same IP as host and oVirt?

engine-manage-domains has been depracated in 3.5 and completelly
removed in 4.0.

I was replaced by ovirt-engine-extension-aaa-ldap[1].

But you can also use ovirt-engine-extension-aaa-jdbc, which actually
should full-fill your requirment to have it on same host. This is
pre-installed extension, as @internal domain is using it by default.
If you want to add more users to this extension you have to use tool
named 'ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool'. You should follow it's help:

  $ ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool --help
  $ ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool user --help
  $ ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool user add --help
  $ ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool user password-reset --help

  $ ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool user add my_user
  $ ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool user password-reset my_user
--password-valid-to="2017-01-01 00:00:00Z"

To get idea how to create new user.

[1]
https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-extension-aaa-ldap/blob/master/README