[ovirt-users] VMs paused due to IO issues - Dell Equallogic controller failover

Gary Lloyd g.lloyd at keele.ac.uk
Tue Oct 4 07:51:41 UTC 2016

Hi

We have Ovirt 3.65 with a Dell Equallogic SAN and we use Direct Luns for
all our VMs.
At the weekend during early hours an Equallogic controller failed over to
its standby on one of our arrays and this caused about 20 of our VMs to be
paused due to IO problems.

I have also noticed that this happens during Equallogic firmware upgrades
since we moved onto Ovirt 3.65.

As recommended by Dell disk timeouts within the VMs are set to 60 seconds
when they are hosted on an EqualLogic SAN.

Is there any other timeout value that we can configure in vdsm.conf to stop
VMs from getting paused when a controller fails over ?

Also is there anything that we can tweak to automatically unpause the VMs
once connectivity with the arrays is re-established ?

At the moment we are running a customized version of storageServer.py, as
Ovirt has yet to include iscsi multipath support for Direct Luns out of the
box.

Many Thanks

*Gary Lloyd*
I.T. Systems:Keele University