[ovirt-users] Change host names/IPs

Davide Ferrari davide at billymob.com
Thu Oct 6 13:10:23 UTC 2016

> Something like the following (I'm assuming you have multiple hosts...):
> 1. Put host in to maintenance mode
> 2. Remove it from oVirt
> 3. Change host network settings
> 4. Re-attach host with new setting to oVirt
> 5. Migrate some VMs to the new host and fix their IP settings
> 6. Repeat for other hosts

Well, yes, I should add some routing logic before/during migration but it
should work

> Things to note:
> - If you are using hosted-engine, it will further complicate things for
> you,
>   I'm not sure if and how can one change the H.E. IP.

Yep, I'm with HE. Does anyone know if HE engine can be changed?

> - If you are using an IP-based storage that is accessed via the same
> subnet,
>   you need to ensure it is still accessible with the same name/IP from the
>   new subnet.

Luckily storage is already on another vlan/network

> If you are only making this change so you can run more VMs, you can
> consider adding the new subnet as a new VLAN/physical LAN to the
> existing hosts, and keep using old /24 subnet for ovirtmgmt. It is a
> good idea to separate ovirtmgmt traffic from other traffic anyway...

Well I have a mix of physical hosts (excluding oVirt cluster obviously) and
VM that are all on the same network right now, which is the ovirtmgmt
network too, and I don't want to have special routing rules only for VMs.

Thanks for the tips!

--
Davide Ferrari
Senior Systems Engineer