[ovirt-users] Migrating Hosted Engine Storage

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 07:37:49 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Maton, Brett <matonb at ltresources.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I was wondering how to move the Hosted Engine 'disk' to another storage
> domain?
>   Live migration doesn't appear to be working, just left the disk in a
> 'locked' state, the engine is currently up and running.
>
>   Any suggestions ?

It's currently not supported because is not just about moving the disk.
The storage domain location and the disk uuids are written
in /etc/ovirt-hosted-engine/hosted-engine.conf on each involved host since
each ovirt-ha-agent should be able to autonomously restart the engine VM
after a full failure.
The hosted-engine storage domain is also in the answerfile on the shared
storage and, since 3.6, also in the engine DB.
Basically you have to update all of them in a coherent manner at the same
time.

If you are on NFS and you are taking a backup of the whole storage domain
without changing its uuid, it will be a little easier.