[ovirt-users] can't import vm from KVM host

Tomáš Golembiovský tgolembi at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 14:01:42 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 12:21:47 +0200 (CEST)
Nelson Lameiras <nelson.lameiras at lyra-network.com> wrote:

> hello michal,
>
> Yes, both paths are correct and working on the source host since the VM starts and works correctly on source host. Nevertheless I have checked with fdisk and mount to assure that these devices are indeed reachable.
>
> Please understand that my setup is the following:
> source host : KVM (hosting the VM to migrate)
> target host : oVirt 4.0.4 (patched)
>
> The error "no storage vol with matching path '/dev/sdc'" is returned by the target host script /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vdsm/v2v.py.
> This almost seems normal since the device /dev/sdc is not mounted on target host (where script is running) but only on source host.
>
> Can this be the source of the error ?

To me this looks more like a bug in the engine, not in VDSM.

The exception in the VDSM log is OK and it is not fatal. It is actually
to be expected for block devices. VDSM is trying to find out the size of
the disk, but the way it does that is tailored for volumes in storage
pool. But the block device is not a volume in a storage pool and that is
why libvirt complains. We can potentially skip the check for block
devices to avoid error in the log, or provide some other logic of
getting the size.

But the real problem is this error in engine.log:

> 2016-09-29 14:13:48,637 ERROR [org.ovirt.engine.core.bll.GetVmsFromExternalProviderQuery] (default task-30) [] Exception: org.ovirt.engine.core.common.errors.EngineException: EngineException: java.lang.NumberFormatException: null (Failed with error ENGINE and code 5001)

We don't send the size (or rather send null value) for the disk and
engine does not like that. I assume engine does not really consider all
the optional VM properties as optional.

    Tomas

--
Tomáš Golembiovský <tgolembi at redhat.com>