[ovirt-users] Failed to read hardware information

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 18:34:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 11:59 PM, David Pinkerton <dpinkert at redhat.com> wrote:
> Logs attached

According vdsm.log and supervdsm.log, each time vdsm try to call
getHardwareInfo,
supervdsm show the start of the call and then it show no logs for 10 seconds,
and than we see the startup message.

So it seems that supervdsm is crashing each time it try to invoke dmidecode
code.

To dig deeper, I suggest you try to run the relevant code from the
shell. If this
code crash, we will see the details in the shell, and we can also run the python
shell in gdb to debug this.

Try this:

1. Open a python shell as root

    $ sudo python

2. In the shell, type this

    >>> from vdsm import dmidecodeUtil
    >>> dmidecodeUtil.getHardwareInfoStructure()

If at this point the the python shell crash, please try:

1. Install python debug-info packages:

    $ sudo debuginfo-install -y python

2. Start python in gdb

    $ sudo gdb python

3. In the gdb shell, run python

    (gdb) run

Python shell will show, type the code above again.

If this crash in gdb, please type this in the gdb shell:

    (gdb) thread apply all bt full

Nir