[ovirt-users] Failed to read hardware information

Martin Polednik mpolednik at redhat.com
Thu Oct 13 08:28:06 UTC 2016

On 13/10/16 09:01 +0300, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 11:52:17AM +1100, David Pinkerton wrote:
>> Nir,
>>
>> Looks like its crashing on the dmidecode system call.
>>
>> I've attached the output from gbd as well as a dmidecode text dump,
>> dmidecode binary dump and each keywords run individually.
>>
>> >From the keywords it look like my dmi info is corrupted.  I have download a
>> AMI dmi editor but this only allows access to limited fields.  Do you know
>> another tools to rewrite the dmi info?
>
>I don't. But whatever is inside your dmi, dmidecode must not crash.
>Which version of python-dmidecode do you have installed?
>Would you open a bug against it?

This is really unfortunate - I've reproduced the issue with the
attached dump and it's python-dmidecode that crashes. The issue is
actually fixed upstream, but the version at least in RHEL does not
contain the fix.

RHEL version:
python-dmidecode-3.10.13-11.el7.x86_64

works with (actual upstream):
python-dmidecode-3.12.2-1.el7.x86_64
(actually it's ~6 line change in dmioem.c)

VDSM output:
# vdsClient 0 getVdsHardwareInfo
        systemFamily = 'To Be Filled By O.E.M.'
        systemManufacturer = 'Supermicro'
        systemProductName = 'H8DM8-2'
        systemSerialNumber = '1234567890'
        systemUUID = '00020003-0004-0005-0006-000700080009'
        systemVersion = '1234567890'

Although the upstream version of python-dmidecode is able to deal with
improper DMI tables, I can't say what else will/will not behave correctly.

mpolednik