[ovirt-users] Documentation

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Sun Sep 4 20:49:35 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 11:14 PM, zero four <zfnoctis at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a prospective user of oVirt I have noticed quite a lot of glaring
> problems with the documentation, is it still being maintained?  Since
> outdated or incomplete documentation is often worse than nothing, a possible
> solution would be to just link to the official Red Hat Virtualization
> documentation.
>
> Here are some examples I found after looking for less than 5 minutes:
>
> 1.
>
> http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/
>
> The top of this web page has two videos from 2012. The left one "oVirt Open
> Virtualization Basics -- Single Machine Install" is a guide for the all in
> one install.  This is misleading as it no longer possible to perform an all
> in one install since 3.6, and in general it would appear the oVirt project
> does not support deploying oVirt to a single machine. The right video is a
> guide on creating VMs using the GUI from 2012 which has since changed.
>
> Overall both videos should be removed from the Documentation page as they
> only confuse and mislead new users.  I, and I am sure many other users would
> greatly appreciate more current video guides.
>
> 2.
>
> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/hosted-engine/#fresh-install
>
> Under the notes for this there is the following passage:
>
> “Although hosted-engine and engine-setup use different wording for the admin
> password ("'admin at internal' user password" vs "Engine admin password"), they
> are asking for the same thing. If you enter different passwords, the
> hosted-engine setup will fail.”
>
> Why is the wording different?  This appears to be entirely unnecessary, and
> also confusing as to why it is asking for the password a second time at all.
>
> 3.
>
> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/hosted-engine/#fresh-install
>
> After finishing the hosted engine deployment script the guide states:
>
> “After completing the OS installation on the VM, return to the host and
> continue. The installer on the host will sync with the VM and ask for the
> engine to be installed on the new VM:”
>
> It is unclear how you are expected to access the VM, is the Web UI up at
> this point?  Do you need to use virsh to connect to the VM?  The guide
> should be explicit.
>
> 4.
>
> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/quickstart/quickstart-guide/#prerequisites
>
>  I. The documentation discusses Fedora 19, Fedora is currently on version 24
> and 19 is EOL.
>
> II. Under “Storage and Networking” there is no mention that oVirt requires
> at least 3 GlusterFS bricks to achieve quorum.
>
> III. Under “Virtual Machines” there is no mention of Windows 10, Fedora past
> version 20, or RHEL/CentOS 7.X.

Thanks for reporting this, you can open an issues for these:
https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-site/issues

Or even send a fix, check this link at the bottom of the page:
"Edit this page on GitHub"

In the past you could simply edit the page in the wiki, now you
have to send a pull request using github, which is little harder.

Nir