[ovirt-users] oVirt on a single server

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Mon Sep 5 06:48:01 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Nir Soffer <nsoffer at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Philip Lo <lokoiyin at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm running single node hosted engine 4.0.x with local NFS and it runs just
>> fine. Thanks
>>
>> Regards,
>> Philip Lo
>>
>> On 5 Sep 2016, at 5:45 AM, Christophe TREFOIS <christophe.trefois at uni.lu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I’m running 3.6 with local NFS for the hosted engine. I have more than one
>> host but they are all isolated and export they storage via local NFS. Setup
>> has been running since 1 year now.
>
> It run fine but it may deadlock :-)
>
> See
> - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/489889
> - https://access.redhat.com/solutions/22231

Indeed, see also:

https://lwn.net/Articles/595652/

> Such setup is ok for testing or development.

Another option is iSCSI, which AFAIU does not suffer from this problem.

And yet another option is using nested-kvm to run multiple virtual
"hosts" on a single physical one, and run hosted-engine on them, with
another VM serving nfs or iSCSI storage. This obviously provides lower
performance, but higher flexibility, and is probably ideal for learning
oVirt, testing etc. Obviously you can't create/maintain these hosts
using oVirt itself, but have to use e.g. virsh or virt-manager.

There is a project called lago [1] doing just that, and some of the CI
tests of oVirt already use it to do a full hosted-engine setup.

[1] http://lago.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
--
Didi