[ovirt-users] Migrating self hosted engine from iSCSI to NFS ?

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 07:36:36 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 6:35 PM, Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Simone Tiraboschi <stirabos at redhat.com> said:
> > The issue is that the engine DB backup you are going to restore already
> > contains a reference to the previous hosted-engine storage domain and to
> > the previous hosted-engine VM and so on and so the auto-import procedure
> > have the engine VM looking up for its own infrastructure will not
> trigger.
> > You have to manually remove them form the DB you restored.
>
> Okay, that makes sense.  I see this from you:
>
> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/64966/
>
> Should that work okay with a 3.5 database?  I'm familiar with SQL, so if
> it needs some tweaks, I can handle that (just looking really to see if
> that's the right general idea).

It's still in development state so no warranty at all but the main idea is
there.
But if you are still on 3.5 I think that it will be easier since the
auto-import procedure to import the hosted-engine engine storage domain and
the engine VM to manage them from the engine itself has been introduced
only with 3.6.

> If so, could I connect the new iSCSI storage to a host, shutdown the
> engine, "dd" the engine over, start up the new location in single-user
> mode, and make the DB change?
>
> Basically, just wondering if I could skip the full install and jump
> right to an installed system.

With 3.5 you probably can do just that.
Then you have to edit /etc/ovirt-hosted-engine/hosted-engine.conf on all of
your hosts to point to the new storage device.