[ovirt-users] VM support for Infiniband

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 13:28:46 UTC 2016

> On 30 Sep 2016, at 03:56, Kevin Hung <khung at nullaxiom.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to add my Infiniband HCAs on my VM hosts to oVirt 4.0.4. I am not using IBoIP, just plain Infiniband. I would like to be able to pass through the card (or better yet the VF from SR-IOV) to the guest VM.

SR-IOV should work (or general PCI passthrough), it’s then transparent to oVirt. Did you not succeed with setting up SR-IOV or generic passthrough of the HCA?

> From what I can figure out, oVirt is trying to bridge the interface but I don't think that will work as shown here [1]. Does oVirt currently have support for passing through Infiniband to VMs? If not, are there any plans to support it?

Well, at least for generic passthrough the PCI device would be detached from the host so should not be recognized/touched by oVirt networking code at all.

Thanks,
michal