[ovirt-users] Communication Problems between Engine and Hosts

FERNANDO FREDIANI fernando.frediani at upx.com
Wed Aug 2 15:11:21 UTC 2017

Hello.

Yesterday I had a pretty strange problem in one of our architectures. My
oVirt which runs in one Datacenter and controls Nodes locally and also
remotelly lost communication with the remote Nodes in another Datacenter.
To this point nothing wrong as the Nodes can continue working as
expected and running their Virtual Machines each without dependency of
the oVirt Engine.

What happened at some point is that when the communication between
Engine and Hosts came back Hosts got confused and initiated a Live
Migration of ALL VMs from one of the other. I had also to restart vdsmd
agent on all Hosts in order to get sanity my environment.
What adds up even more strangeness to this scenario is that one of the
Hosts affected doesn't belong to the same Cluster as the others and had
to have the vdsmd restarted.

I understand the Hosts can survive without the Engine online with
reduced possibilities but can communicated between them, but without
affecting the VMs or even needing to do what happened in this scenario.

Am I wrong on any of the assumptions ?

Fernando