[ovirt-users] Software RAID on oVirt Node

Vinícius Ferrão ferrao at if.ufrj.br
Sat Aug 5 01:44:11 UTC 2017

> On 4 Aug 2017, at 16:20, Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net> wrote:
>
> Once upon a time, Vinícius Ferrão <ferrao at if.ufrj.br> said:
>> On typical deployment scenarios of oVirt which is the recommended RAID technologies for oVirt Node installation? Should I use controller based RAID or mdadm can be used instead? Is this recommended?
>>
>> I’m asking this because other vendors requires hardware RAID, even those 100% based on CentOS, like XenServer. There’s not even a way to install it with mdadm (Software Raid).
>
> I use Linux software RAID under oVirt just fine.  I'm not using oVirt
> Node though (I just installed CentOS and then installed oVirt).  Note
> that I have an iSCSI SAN for VM storage - things might be different if
> you are planning to use the local disks for VMs (local storage or
> Gluster).

Hello Chris,

On non-node installation I can’t see any problems as you said, but due to the appliance nature of oVirt Node I don’t know if this would be a supported scenario. Anyway you raised a good point: local storage. I’m not needing this, perhaps someone on the list will be using this feature.

V.