[ovirt-users] Good practices

FERNANDO FREDIANI fernando.frediani at upx.com
Mon Aug 7 13:04:23 UTC 2017

For any RAID 5 or 6 configuration I normally follow a simple gold rule
which gave good results so far:
- up to 4 disks RAID 5
- 5 or more disks RAID 6

However I didn't really understand well the recommendation to use any
RAID with GlusterFS. I always thought that GlusteFS likes to work in
JBOD mode and control the disks (bricks) directlly so you can create
whatever distribution rule you wish, and if a single disk fails you just
replace it and which obviously have the data replicated from another.
The only downside of using in this way is that the replication data will
be flow accross all servers but that is not much a big issue.

Anyone can elaborate about Using RAID + GlusterFS and JBOD + GlusterFS.

Thanks
Regards
Fernando