[ovirt-users] critical production issue for a vm

Nathanaël Blanchet blanchet at abes.fr
Thu Dec 7 13:32:07 UTC 2017

Many thanks to Nicolas who saved my life!

When the export of disks (base + snapshot) has finished, I managed to
boot up the vm into libvirt/kvm with the top disk snapshot as the main disk.
Then, I believed reimporting the vm was the last thing to do, but
integrated virt-v2v doesn't support importing vm with external
snapshots, so when the importing process has finished, I couldn't boot
up the vm.
I had to merge the snapshots with qemu tools:

qemu-img rebase-b  base.raw snap2.qcow2
qemu-img commit snap2.qcow2

And then, attaching the base image of each disk to the libvirt vm before
reimporting it chosing "preallocated" for raw disks.

This is a manual method, but it was first necessary to find the disk id
into lvm thanks to ovirt-shell: list disks --query "name=hortensia*"
--show-all.

When finding the volume group id corresponding to the vm, I had to
activate all the logical volume with lvchange -ay /dev/... and then
finding qcow2 information with qemu-img info --backing-chain

*In this specific desastry, is there something to do with ovirt itself
instead of exporting/reimporting, knowing that vm disks on the lun are
intact, while the main reason is that the reference to some disks are
broken into database?*

--
Nathanaël Blanchet

Supervision réseau