[ovirt-users] Best Practice Question: How many engines, one or more than one, for multiple physical locations

Matt Simonsen matt at khoza.com
Fri Dec 8 20:50:19 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I read with Gluster using hyper-convergence that the engine must reside
on the same LAN as the nodes. I guess this makes sense by definition -
ie: using Gluster storage and replicating Gluster bricks across the web
sounds awful.

This got me wondering about best practices for the engine setup. We have
multiple physical locations (co-location data centers).

In my initial plan I had expected to have my oVirt engine hosted
separately from each physical location so that in the event of trouble
at a remote facility the engine would still be usable.

In this case, our prod sites would not have a "hyper-converged" setup if
we decide to run GlusterFS for storage at any particular physical site,
but I believe it would still be possible to use Gluster. In this case
oVirt would have a 3 node cluster, using GlusterFS storage, but not
hyper-converged since the engine would be in a separate facility.

Is there any downside in this setup to having the engine off-site?

Rather than having an off-site engine, should I consider one engine per
physical co-location space?

Thank you all for any feedback,

Matt