[ovirt-users] bonding mode-alb

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Mon Dec 11 12:24:15 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Demeter Tibor <tdemeter at itsmart.hu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could help anyone for me in this question?

Thanks.

> R.
>
> Tibor
>

> ----- 2017. dec.. 6., 14:07, Demeter Tibor <tdemeter at itsmart.hu> írta:
>
> Dear members,
>
> I would like to use two switch to make high-availability network
> connection for my nfs storage.
> Unfortunately, these switches does not support 802.3.ad lacp, (really I
> can't stack them)  but I've read about mode-alb and mode-tlb bonding
> modes.
> I know,these modes are available in ovirt, but how is work that? Also how
> is safe? Are there for HA or for load balance?
>
> I've read some forums, where does not recommended these modes to use in
> ovirt. What is the truths?
> I would like to use only for storage-traffic, it will be separated from
> other network traffic. I have two 10Gbe switches and two 10Gbe ports in my
> nodes.

Look here:
https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/admin-guide/chap-Logical_Networks/#bonds-1

"Important: Modes 1, 2, 3, and 4 support both virtual machine (bridged) and
non-virtual machine (bridgeless) network types. Modes 0, 5 and 6 support
non-virtual machine (bridgeless) networks only.¨

So both tlb (mode 5) or alb (mode 6) are fine only if you use them just for
the storage access but not for VMs.