[ovirt-users] Standalone Gluster Storage

Ralf Schenk rs at databay.de
Wed Dec 13 17:31:03 UTC 2017

Hello,

since I am on gluster since Ovirt 3.6.x I also need to change this mount
option. Is it possible to change mount option for next engine start/host
reboot without taking the volume offline. Perhaps by modifiying database
or config files ? As for now my gluster Entry-Point
glusterfs.mgmt.mydomain.de points to multiple IP adresses (all gluster
nodes)

like so:
# host glusterfs.mgmt.mydomain.de

glusterfs.mgmt.mydomain.de has address 172.16.252.126
glusterfs.mgmt.mydomain.de has address 172.16.252.124
glusterfs.mgmt.mydomain.de has address 172.16.252.122
glusterfs.mgmt.mydomain.de has address 172.16.252.127
glusterfs.mgmt.mydomain.de has address 172.16.252.125
glusterfs.mgmt.mydomain.de has address 172.16.252.121
glusterfs.mgmt.mydomain.de has address 172.16.252.128
glusterfs.mgmt.mydomain.de has address 172.16.252.123

Furthermore is it possible to add a new "managed" gluster volume from
administration, or import an existing gluster so that it becomes
manageable by Ovirt ? Since my Volume wasn't created by setup I'm not
able to create gluster volumes that are managed by gluster. (See
screenshot).

All documentation (since 4.1) only covers creating a managed gluster
volume with the help of gdeploywhile setting up Ovirt.

Bye
Am 13.12.2017 um 09:05 schrieb Artem Tambovskiy:
> Hi,
>
> I just updated almost all storage domains with backup-volfile-servers
> mount options, the last one remaining is the hosted_storage domain
> which serves hosted engine VM. I wonder if this domain also needs to
> be configured with  backup-volfile-servers option? If so how to do
> this - I can't put this domain on maintenance via web UI.
>
> Regards,
> Artem
>
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 9:03 AM, Sahina Bose <sabose at redhat.com
> <mailto:sabose at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     The backup-volfile-servers as an additional mount option should
>     handle the case where one of the servers goes down - storage
>     domain should continue to be available.
>     The servers specified for this option can be the servers
>     participating in your volume. For instance, the set of unique
>     servers from the "gluster volume info" command.
>
>     If even with this mount option, you're facing an issue - please
>     log a bug with gluster mount logs and vdsm logs.
>
>     thanks
>     sahina
>
>     On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 12:37 AM, Beau Sapach <bsapach at ualberta.ca
>     <mailto:bsapach at ualberta.ca>> wrote:
>
>         We did use the backup-volfile-servers option but still had
>         trouble.  We were simply adding all servers in the cluster as
>         backups, is there a best practice that should be followed?
>
>         On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Artem Tambovskiy
>         <artem.tambovskiy at gmail.com
>         <mailto:artem.tambovskiy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             I did exactly the same mistake with my standalone
>             GlusterFS cluster and now need to take down all Storage
>             Domains in order to fix this mistake.
>             Probably, worth to add a few words about this in
>             Installation guide!
>
>             On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Simone Tiraboschi
>             <stirabos at redhat.com <mailto:stirabos at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>                 On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 8:44 PM, Beau Sapach
>                 <bsapach at ualberta.ca <mailto:bsapach at ualberta.ca>> wrote:
>
>                     We've been doing some experimenting with gluster,
>                     and have built a stand-alone gluster cluster (not
>                     managed by oVirt).  We've been able to create a
>                     storage domain backed by that gluster cluster and
>                     run VMs with their disks on that storage.
>
>                     The problem we have is that when we take a gluster
>                     node down for updates, maintenance etc. the entire
>                     storage domain goes offline in oVirt.  Other
>                     gluster clients, that is servers connecting
>                     directly to the gluster cluster don't seem to
>                     notice if one node goes offline.
>
>                     Is anyone else using gluster storage in oVirt that
>                     is not managed within oVirt?
>

>                 Did you set also the backup-volfile-servers mount option?
>

>                     --
>                     Beau Sapach
>                     *System Administrator | Information Technology
>                     Services | University of Alberta Libraries*
>                     *Phone: 780.492.4181 <tel:%28780%29%20492-4181> |
>                     Email: Beau.Sapach at ualberta.ca
>                     <mailto:Beau.Sapach at ualberta.ca>*

>         --
> [...]

*Ralf Schenk*
fon +49 (0) 24 05 / 40 83 70
fax +49 (0) 24 05 / 40 83 759
mail *rs at databay.de* <mailto:rs at databay.de>

*Databay AG*
Jens-Otto-Krag-Straße 11
D-52146 Würselen
*www.databay.de* <http://www.databay.de>

Sitz/Amtsgericht Aachen • HRB:8437 • USt-IdNr.: DE 210844202
Vorstand: Ralf Schenk, Dipl.-Ing. Jens Conze, Aresch Yavari, Dipl.-Kfm.
Philipp Hermanns
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Wilhelm Dohmen