[ovirt-users] Self-Hosted engine 4.1.7 unavailable from the outside of the host

Matteo Capuano kapu.net at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 10:09:41 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Simone Tiraboschi <stirabos at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Matteo Capuano <kapu.net at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone, my name’s Matteo and I’m a new oVirt user.
>>
>> I’m trying to install the gluster hyperconverged solution in a lab
>> environment following the How-To wrote by Jason Brooks:
>>
>> https://ovirt.org/blog/2017/04/up-and-running-with-ovirt-4.
>> 1-and-gluster-storage/
>>
>> Sadly, I cannot understand how to configure the network on the
>> self-hosted engine and I’m unable to make it available from outside the
>> host.
>>
>> As written in the HowTo I created three hosts (ovirt-note 4.1.7) each one
>> with two nics, one for gluster and one for management, the network is a
>> static LAN with FQDN resolvable (also reverse) by a local DNS. Here the
>> details:
>>
>> Gateway: 172.16.1.1
>>
>> DNS: 172.16.1.12
>>
>> Host1: 172.16.1.210 (management) – 172.16.2.210 (gluster)
>>
>> Host2: 172.16.1.220 (management) – 172.16.2.220 (gluster)
>>
>> Host3: 172.16.1.230 (management) – 172.16.2.230 (gluster)
>>
>> Engine: 172.16.1.200
>>
>> When installing the engine I choose to brigde the management’s nic
>> (172.16.1.210) of host1 but, once the installation is completed, I'm unable
>> to reach the engine from the LAN where the hosts are connected. The engine
>> (172.16.1.200) can ping only host1 (172.16.1.210) and only host1 can ping
>> the engine.
>>
>> As far as my network knowledge goes, to make the engine available from
>> the outside of host1 I would need to use a third nic or to use some device
>> to associate the ip and MAC address of the engine’s nic.
>>
> Ciao Matteo,
> no, hosted-engine-setup should create a bridge for you.
> No need to do custom configuration to expose your VMs.
>
> Are you trying on bare metal or on VMs with the engine VM as a nested VM?

Ciao Simone,

thank you for your answer.

My lab is a nested environmet. I installed ovirt on bare metal with the
engine on another machine. On this setup i have 6 VMs:

- 172.16.1.1  pfSense as firewall/gateway
- 172.16.1.10  a windows 2016 used as network guest
- 172.16.1.12  a nethserver installation as DNS server ( also on
172.16.2.12 )
- the three ovirt-nodes as i described on my e-mail

All the machines are pingable, only the engine inside host 1 is unreachable
and can ping only host1.

Cheers

Matteo