[ovirt-users] Upgrade to 4.2 Postgresql Error

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Thu Dec 21 07:41:07 UTC 2017

> Hi!
>
> well, I'm a update fever and I decided to update my ovirt to 4.2.0.

Thanks for this valuable feedback! Simone has already replied and will
check your setup logs.

> How I'm doingi it?
>
> I'm following the rules!
>
> 1 - Global Maintenance Mode
> 2 - Yum Install ovirt-release-4.2
> 3- yum update ovirt-setup*.
>
> But, by the engine-setup I have a conflict with the system collation and
> postgresql. Unfortunatelly I changed via puppet to the german
> collation(de_DE-UTF8) of ovirt-engine hosted vm(because it's a standard for
> us) but this was after the engine-setup and the DB Configuration from
> Postgresql.

Adding also Didi

> I think that I can easily change the system collation to us-US-UFT8 but
> I'm afraid that I can "destroy" my hosted-engine VM with that change, is
> hosted-engine so sensible?
>
> How I know that error?  The logs are saying that(and the error in on
> postgresql upgrade part of setup)!
>
> *Performing Consistency Checks*
> *-----------------------------*
> *Checking cluster versions                                   ok*
> *Checking database user is the install user                  ok*
> *Checking database connection settings                       ok*
> *Checking for prepared transactions                          ok*
> *Checking for reg* system OID user data types                ok*
> *Checking for contrib/isn with bigint-passing mismatch       ok*
> *Checking for invalid "line" user columns                    ok*
> *Creating dump of global objects                             ok*
> *Creating dump of database schemas*
> *  engine*
> *  ovirt_engine_history*
> *  postgres*
> *  template1*
> *                                                            ok*
>
> *lc_collate values for database "postgres" do not match:  old
> "en_US.UTF-8", new "de_DE.UTF-8"*
> *Failure, exiting*
>
> I would be thankful if someone could give me some hint about that!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Gabriel
> PS: If I go to devconf in Brno I will pay a lot of beers to the developer
> of the engine-setup rollback! Saved my life!

The specific developer won't be there, but you're welcome to reach oVirt
people there and share some beer :-)

> Gabriel Stein

SANDRO BONAZZOLA

ASSOCIATE MANAGER, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, EMEA ENG VIRTUALIZATION R&D

Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
<https://red.ht/sig>
TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>