[ovirt-users] 4.2: Can't add local storage

Blaster Blaster at 556nato.com
Wed Dec 27 03:32:45 UTC 2017

On 12/24/2017 11:58 PM, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:

> Il 24 Dic 2017 18:28, "Blaster" <Blaster at 556nato.com
> <mailto:Blaster at 556nato.com>> ha scritto:
>
>     Fresh install of 4.2 self hosted engine.
>
>     Right after install, I tried to add local storage.  I tried to put
>     the hosted engine VM into maint mode, but it forever just sat
>     there in the going into maint state, and never actually went into
>     maint state.
>
>     The default Datacenter was in uninitialized state.
>
>     So I tried adding an NFS storage domain, which initialized the
>     datacenter.  Now when I try and put the hosted engine VM into
>     maint mode I get: Cannot switch the hosts to maintenance mode.
>     There are no available hosts capable of running the engine VM.
>
>     What am I doing wrong?
>

> You need to add a second host allowing the hosted engine to migrate in
> order to move the host to maintenance.

This is bad terminology on oVirt's part.  I was wanting to add local
SATA disk as I have a 1 node environment with no shared storage.  To
accomplish what I really wanted to do, I had to change the datacenter
storage type to local storage, the a local file system option appeared
in the create new storage domain diaglog.

oVirt/RHEV team really needs a good documentation writer, as this
storage option isn't even documented in the storage section of the
administration guide.

Installing my first 4.2 system, and it's obvious the documentation
writer hasn't sat down and down and done a clean install.  Lots of stuff
missing.

I've never looked at Proxmox, but it's taking the hobbyist and small
environment virtualization world by storm, especially after Xen's latest
licensing changes.  oVirt should have this.  But it's way too
complicated and way too fragile and way under documented.