[ovirt-users] How to benefit from pci-e ssd??

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Sun Feb 5 13:37:12 UTC 2017

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 2:46 PM, Arman Khalatyan <arm2arm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I wondered if there some setup where we can benefit from pci-e ssds?
> One possible way is pci passthrough but then the vm does not migrate
> anymore(am I right?).

Right, if you use host resources, you will not be able to migrate. You have to
choose between being able to run on any host and having better performance.

> Another way to share nvme over iscsi, but any software layer between vm and
> nvme is dumping the performance(maybe worth to try iser or srp?)

It will be interesting to try sharing over iscsi, your host networking
is probably
going to be the limitation.

We are working now on a localdisk hook, that will allow you to run a vm using
a fast ssd on a host, using disks and templates on shared storage.

You can track the development here:
https://gerrit.ovirt.org/71272

There is an initial draft for the feature page here:
https://github.com/nirs/ovirt-site/commit/f63da31b873943e2ca3290e38d5a12b896195f0f

Nir