[ovirt-users] missing hvc0 device on hosted engine

Berger, Sandy SBERGER at qg.com
Mon Feb 6 19:14:16 UTC 2017

I've been running oVirt 4.0.x for a while now and upgraded the engine and hosts to 4.1. Sometimes, on both 4.0 and 4.1, trying to run the "hosted-engine -console" command gives the following results:

The engine VM is running on this host
Connected to domain HostedEngine
Escape character is ^]
error: internal error: cannot find character device <null>

Once this starts occurring, it never works again.

When this happens I note that the hvc0 device does not exist in /dev and therefore there is no getty process running for that device. I notice that the "Enable VirtIO serial console" box is not checked on the hosted engine VM but when I check it and click OK it's unchecked again when I open up the edit window again.

How do I get console control back from my oVirt hosts?

Thank you,

Sandy Berger

Follow Us: Facebook<http://www.qg.com/social1> | Twitter<http://www.qg.com/social2> | LinkedIn<http://www.qg.com/social3> | YouTube<http://www.qg.com/social4>