[ovirt-users] Info on oVirt 4.1 and qcow2 v3 format

Maor Lipchuk mlipchuk at redhat.com
Thu Feb 9 16:54:56 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 2:57 PM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> after upgrading to oVirt 4.1 and setting cluster/datacenter to version 4,
>> new images and snapshots should be created in qcow2 v3 format, based on
>> bugzilla included in release notes:
>> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/827529
>> Correct?
>>
>> What about existing disks? Is there any way to convert?
>>

> See the 'amend' part in the feature description page at[1].
> Y.
>
> [1] http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/sto
> rage/qcow2v3/
>

>> What in case I have an old disk, I create a snapshot in 4.1 and then
>> delete the snapshot? Will the live merged disk be in v3 format or v2?

Since the merge snapshot will be done using the qemu-img commit
The qcow version of the active volume, after the merge, will be the same as
the old volume.

So, for example if you had a QCOW2 version 2 volume with compatibility
level of 0.10 and you create a new snapshot on DC 4.1 (That will make the
new QCOW volume to be with compatibility level of 1.1, QCOW2V3).
If afterwords you delete that snapshot, then the QCOW volume will be again,
the same as it was before, QCOW2 version 2 with compatibility level of 0.10.

As Yaniv mentioned above, you can use the amend operation to update the
QCOW version of all the volume's disk.