[ovirt-users] How to change disk from thin to pre allocated

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 20:12:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 4:46 PM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 4:11 PM, <ovirt at timmi.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gianluca,
>>
>> I tried to clone the VM but it does not help. It is still thin allocation.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Christoph
>>

> Hi,
> I referred to this information for the clone of VM scenario:
> http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2016-May/040129.html
> that contains:
>
> "
> >What happens if you clone a source VM which is using "thin" ?
> The VM cloned from a thin templated base VM will be created with a full
> copy of the disk (as in "Clone" when creating from template)
> "
> but I have not tried myself recently with 4.0/4.1 versions
>
> Instead I did test some days ago with 4.0.6 this scenario below as I
> wanted to convert a source thin provisioned VM to a preallocated template:
> VM is powered on
> create a snapshot of the VM
> select the snapshot line and select clone
> in resource allocation section of the new vm screen change allocation
> policy for the desired disk/s from thin provision to preallocated
> Then you can decommission old VM and use the cloned one
> Verified today in 4.1 too.
>
> Or from the snapshot line you can also "make template" if you plan to use
> it as a base for more VMs.
> But in this case (tested in 4.1) your options are shown in a "Format"
> column, not "Allocation Policy" column; and you can choose between QCOW2
> (that should be thin) and Raw (that should be preallocated).
> See my screenshot:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwoPbcrMv8mvTHIzTU5kdHVJOG8/
> view?usp=sharing
> Probably it should be made consistent and show "Allocation Policy" instead
> and related values?
>
> Gianluca

Hi,
I just tested this on 4.1:
- take a VM with a thin provisioned disk
How to see allocation policy?
It seems suboptimal for me: I would expect to see this kind of information
in disks sub pane of the vm.
Instead I have to select snaphsots sub pane, then for example the "Current'
line, and at the right side sub pane in disks tab I see "Allocation Policy"
- thin provision

- make a clone of it in a new VM
In the same sub pane for the new VM I see preallocated.... so it seems to
work as I read
This is on FC-SAN. What kind of storage is yours?