[ovirt-users] Manually starting VMs via vdsClient (HE offline)

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 19:02:41 UTC 2017

On Feb 10, 2017 3:21 PM, "Nathanaël Blanchet" <blanchet at abes.fr> wrote:

Le 09/02/2017 à 19:48, Yaniv Kaul a écrit :

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Doug Ingham <dougti at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 February 2017 at 12:03, Dan Yasny <dyasny at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Doug Ingham <dougti at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Dan,

>>> If you don't mind, may I ask what process you use for backing up your
>>> engine? If you use HE, do you keep one server dedicated to just that VM?
>>> I've not had that particular issue in the restore process yet, however I
>>> read that it's recommended the HE host is free of virtual load before the
>>> backup takes place. And as they need to be done frequently, I'm reading
>>> that as a dedicated host...
>>>

>> If you use a dedicated host, you might as well abandon self hosted. HE is
>> nice for small setups with the HA built in for extra fun, but once you
>> scale, it might not be able to cope and you'll need real hardware. You're
>> running a heavy-ish java engine plus two databases after all.
>>
> I'd be interested to know what type of scale needs a real hardware for
engine, rather 100 vms or 1000 vms? it may be about the hosts number?

It depends on many factors. Just saw someone who is running the engine as a
VM on a hefty hardware, and his setup had 50 hosts and 2500 VMs. I don't
know all the details and specifically what I'd be interested to know is the
underlying storage performance and how it's connected.
In any case, as you scale up the system you will need more vCPUs and
memory.

Lastly, in 4.1 we've made various improvements to the engine and its
database usage, so I expect somewhat improved performance and scale.
Y.

>> So as I said, all I do is add the engine-backup command to cron on the
>> engine, and then my backup server comes in and pulls out the files via scp,
>> also through cron. Nothing fancy really, but it lets me sleep at night
>>

> This particular project has 10 new maxed out servers to back it, and I
> don't see it outgrowing that for at least a year or so. It's hardly a full
> DC.
> I presume the DB will become the heaviest part of the load, and I'm
> already planning a separate high I/O environment for dedicated HA DB hosts.
>
> See the top section of this page:
> http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/self-hosted/chap-Backing_
> up_and_Restoring_an_EL-Based_Self-Hosted_Environment
>
> It seems that I'll always have to keep at least one host free to be able
> to avoid restore problems. If not, and I were to keep hourly backups, then
> migrating VMs off the host every hour would just be a pain.

I don't see the point in an hourly backup. Of what? The DB? The VM? What
storage will it be based on?
I suggest revising the strategy.

> --
> Doug