[ovirt-users] Exporting VM as ova

Arik Hadas ahadas at redhat.com
Sun Feb 12 12:57:33 UTC 2017

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Anantha Raghava <
raghav at exzatechconsulting.com> wrote:

> Hello Arik,
>
> Converting to an appliance (OVA) makes the VM portable. Works on multiple
> hypervisor. VM migration and interoperability becomes uncomplicated.

Thanks Anantha.
That's true only to some extent.
For example, without converting OVA that was generated by VMware using
virt-v2v oVirt cannot consume it since the VMDK disks format is not
supported in oVirt. Another example is the OVF representation that differs
among various virtualization management platforms.
So if you are trying to migrate a VM from oVirt to another platform and
assume you'll get this out-of-the-box by having an OVA that is generated by
oVirt, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed in case the target platform
doesn't support the format of the disks or doesn't know how to parse the
OVF that is generated by oVirt.
And there may be more use cases for exporting the VM as OVA, that's why I'm
interested to know what's the goal in this case :)