[ovirt-users] Bandiwdth limit on a Virtual Machine

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Mon Feb 13 18:25:09 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Fernando Frediani <
fernando.frediani at upx.com.br> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Is there any limitation of bandwidth for a Virtual Machine per default ?
>
> I have a host with a bonding of 3 x 1Gb and the VM is connected to that
> bonding. On the Engine interface on the VM status I see "Network" and it
> has a percentage and a tiny graph. What that percentage is related to ? 1Gb
> ? 3Gb ? 10Gb ?
>
> Is there anything that has to be done in order the VM can achieve speeds
> over 1Gbps ?

To the external network, you cannot easily achieve >1Gb, unless you open
multiple connections that will go over multiple physical NICs. It depends
on the bond hashing policy. layer3+4 might make it easier to achieve. This
is not very different than a connection from the host. (I think UDP should
be easier, but it's less interesting?)

VM to VM traffic should easily overcome 1Gbps.
Y.