[ovirt-users] Exporting VM as ova

Tomáš Golembiovský tgolembi at redhat.com
Tue Feb 14 21:23:19 UTC 2017

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 12:23:04 -0500
Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Shahar Havivi <shavivi at redhat.com> writes:
>
> > They must have written it - as we did,
> > OVA is representation of current hypervisor virtual machine, it contains OVF
> > which is xml representation of the VM and binary disk files, the files are the
> > format of the specific hypervisor (Xen, VMWare or KVM).
> > We currently convert from VMWare and Xen on Rhel (not Citrix).
> > The main issue is to convert the disk from one hypervisor to another, we use
> > qemu-img to convert to qcow2 or raw disk format.
>
> Can virt-v2v convert back from ovirt format to VMware format?

If you're asking about VM conversion then the answer is no. virt-v2v
converts only to KVM, not the other way around.

If you're asking about the disks then the question is incorrect. The
right tool for this kind of operation is qemu-img. And yes, it can
convert from raw/QCow2 to VMDK.

    Tomas

--
Tomáš Golembiovský <tgolembi at redhat.com>