[ovirt-users] Exporting VM as ova

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 23:04:27 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 10:31:49AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Tomáš Golembiovský <tgolembi at redhat.com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 12:23:04 -0500
> > Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Can virt-v2v convert back from ovirt format to VMware format?
> >
> > If you're asking about VM conversion then the answer is no. virt-v2v
> > converts only to KVM, not the other way around.
>
> Oh, that's too bad.  I wonder how hard it would be to add that?

It's not something that we'd do for virt-v2v.  It's hard enough
converting VMs to work on KVM as it is, and virt-v2v is a tool
designed to make it easier to convert to KVM only.

> Is there any way to take a VM from ovirt and migrate it to VMware?
>
> > If you're asking about the disks then the question is incorrect. The
> > right tool for this kind of operation is qemu-img. And yes, it can
> > convert from raw/QCow2 to VMDK.
>
> Converting a disk is only part of the issue!  I need to perform the same
> operations virt-v2v does to convert from VMware to ovirt, but do it in
> reverse.

Good luck!  If new drivers have to be installed, then that is a hard
problem.  As discussed above, virt-v2v only solves that in the KVM
direction.  However if the guest only depends on basic devices (IDE,
RTL8139 network card, standard VGA), then it may just run on any
hypervisor.

Rich.