[ovirt-users] best way to remove SAN lun

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:56:41 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 5:42 PM, Andrea Ghelardi <a.ghelardi at iontrading.com>
wrote:

> Hello Gianluca,
>
> I have ISCSI SAN here and not FC but process should be very similar.
>
> Correct operation is
>
> Storage maintenance -> detach -> remove
>

> Once you have removed the storage, Ovirt will release the sanlock.
>
> Note that your server will still “see” the device and multipath will still
> list it as active.
>

> You can now unmap LUN using your SAN manager.
>
> If your multipath is correctly configured, device will “fail” but nothing
> else (multipath and server won’t hang).
>
> You will be able to perform basic list operations via server shell without
> experiencing freeze or locks.*

Yes, but /var/log/messages fills up with multipath errors.
This is not desirable

> Ovirt will continue to scan new devices so you won’t be able to manually
> remove them until you unmap devices from SAN manager.
>

> If you need to remove devices manually, it is advised to follow this guide.
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_
> Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/removing_devices.html
>

> * If you do face command freeze etc, re-enable LUN mappings and check your
> multipath.conf

 Yes, but the problem is that I receive error for the LUN previously
configured as storage domain.
I presume sum stale devices of kind "dm-??" have remained somewhere.

I could reboot one ot the 3 hosts and verified that now the layout is
correct on it.
But I can't easily reboot just now the remaining 2 hosts, so it would be
better to find what forces the multipath device in use....

Gianluca