[ovirt-users] upgrading from 3.6 -> 4.1, vm restarts at 4.0 mandatory?

Darrell Budic budic at onholyground.com
Sun Feb 26 19:39:59 UTC 2017

Not really, not when upgrading to 4.0 at any rate. Take chapter 4 in that guide:

http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/upgrade-guide/chap-Post-Upgrade_Tasks/ <http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/upgrade-guide/chap-Post-Upgrade_Tasks/>

When you perform these steps, you are advised that you now need to restart the VMs to enable the new 4.0 compatible configurations.

As there is no 4.1 upgrade guide, I’m left to interpret Chapter 1 to imply that you need to be at 4.0 to go to 4.1. But does that mean just having the Cluster and DC levels at 4.0, or also having your VMs running at 4.0? This wasn’t applicable to 3.6, so there’s no parallel here. Basically, I’m concerned that a similar procedure for setting Cluster & DC compatibility to 4.1 will not properly handle VMs still running with 3.6 configs, and hoping someone has concrete knowledge of this step that can chime in.

FYI, the breadcrumbs on the web site don’t actually work, they give you a page with the right number of list items for what you’re reading, but no actual links to the chapters (the href is present, but no link text exists).

  -Darrell