[ovirt-users] creating a vlan-tagged network

Edward Haas ehaas at redhat.com
Sun Jan 1 07:48:14 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Jim Kusznir <jim at palousetech.com> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I've got my ovirt cluster up, but am facing an odd situation that I
> haven't pinned down.  I've also run into someone on the IRC channel with
> the same bug, no solutions as of yet.  Google also hasn't helped.
>
> My goal is this:
>
> 1 physical NIC; two networks:
> ovirtmgmt (untagged)
> Public (vlan 2)
>
> ovirtmgmt works great.  a VM on Public cannot talk to anything off the
> host.
>
> Steps to set up:
>
> Datacenter -> networks: created network, checked vm network, checked vlan,
> put 2 in the tag box.  Set required.  Save.
>
> I only have one cluster (default), and it automatically added it there.  I
> went to the hosts in the cluster, and dragged the unassigned Public network
> onto the nic (which already has ovirtmgmt on it).  After completing on all
> three of my hosts, the network shows online.
>
> Create VM, assign to Public, inside VM assign its IP, and it cannot talk
> to the world.
>
> In troubleshooting, I assigned another IP to the host itself (click pencil
> in host network settings).  VM can ping host.  SSH into host, host CAN ping
> other machines on the net and the router for the net.  VM cannot ping
> anything but host (only have one VM on that host currently).  VM is
> isolated until I move it to ovirtmgmt network, then it can get off the host
> to the world, etc.
>
> I tried disabling iptables just in case, but that had no effect.
>
> How do I troubleshoot this further?
>
> --Jim

Hi Jim,

You could create another VM to check if there is connectivity between them.
Then use tcpdump on the host bridge and on your nic while you ping, check
if you see the packets and their correct tag.
I would also check if you have by mistake a duplicate mac address for the
VM (your will need to check your switch for that).

How did you configured the switch this nic is connected to?

You could also share your current setup config for us to see: (from host
and VM)
- ip addr
- ip route
- brctl show (only for host)