[ovirt-users] New oVirt user

Sahina Bose sabose at redhat.com
Mon Jan 2 06:26:07 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Jim Kusznir <jim at palousetech.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I've been involved in virtualization from its very early days, and been
> running linux virtualization solutions off and on for a decade.
> Previously, I was always frustrated with the long feature list offered by
> many linux virtualization systems but with no reasonable way to manage
> that.  It seemed that I had to spend an inordinate amount of time doing
> everything by hand.  Thus, when I found oVirt, I was ecstatic!
> Unfortunately, at that time I changed employment (or rather left employment
> and became self-employed), and didn't have any reason to build my own virt
> cluster..until now!
>
> So I'm back with oVirt, and actually deploying a small 3-node cluster.  I
> intend to run on it:
> VoIP Server
> Web Server
> Business backend server
> UniFi management server
> Monitoring server (zabbix)
>
> Not a heavy load, and 3 servers is probably overkill, but I need this to
> work, and it sounds like 3 is the magic entry level for all the
> cluster/failover stuff to work.  For now, my intent is to use a single SSD
> on each node with gluster for the storage backend.  I figure if all the
> failover stuff actually working, if I loose a node due to disk failure, its
> not the end of the world.  I can rebuild it, reconnect gluster, and restart
> everything.  As this is for a startup business, funds are thin at the
> moment, so I'm trying to cut a couple corners that don't affect overall
> reliability.  If this side of the business grows more, I would likely
> invest in some dedicated servers.

Welcome back to oVirt :)

> So far, I've based my efforts around this guide on oVirt's website:
> http://www.ovirt.org/blog/2016/08/up-and-running-with-
> ovirt-4-0-and-gluster-storage/
>
> My cluster is currently functioning, but not entirely correctly.  Some of
> it is gut feel, some of it is specific test cases (more to follow).  First,
> some areas that lacked clarity and the choices I made in them:
>
> Early on, Jason talks about using a dedicated gluster network for the
> gluster storage sync'ing.  I liked that idea, and as I had 4 nics on each
> machine, I thought dedicating one or two to gluster would be fine.  So, on
> my clean, bare machines, I setup another network with private NiCs and put
> it on a standalone switch.  I added hostnames with a designator (-g on the
> end) for the IPs for all three nodes into /etc/hosts on all three nodes so
> now each node can resolve itself and the other nodes on the -g name (and
> private IP) as well as their main host name and "more public" (but not
> public) IP.
>
> Then, for gdeploy, I put the hostnames in as the -g hostnames, as I didn't
> see anywhere to tell gluster to use the private network.  I think this is a
> place I went wrong, but didn't realize it until the end....

-g hostnames are the right ones to put in for gdeploy. gdeploy peer probes
the cluster and creates the gluster volumes, so it needs the gluster
specific ip addresses.

> I set up the gdeploy script (it took a few times, and a few OS rebuilds to
> get it just right...), and ran it, and it was successful!  When complete, I
> had a working gluster cluster and the right software installed on each node!

Were these errors specific to gdeploy configuration? With the latest
release of gdeploy, there's an option "skip_<section-name>_errors". This
could help avoid the OS rebuilds, I think.

> I set up the engine on node1, and that worked, and I was able to log in to
> the web gui.  I mistakenly skipped the web gui enable gluster service
> before doing the engine vm reboot to complete the engine setup process, but
> I did go back in after the reboot and do that.  After doing that, I was
> notified in the gui that there were additional nodes, did I want to add
> them.  Initially, I skipped that and went back to the command line as Jason
> suggests.  Unfortunately, it could not find any other nodes through his
> method, and it didn't work.  Combine that with the warnings that I should
> not be using the command line method, and it would be removed in the next
> release, I went back to the gui and attempted to add the nodes that way.
>
> Here's where things appeared to go wrong...It showed me two additional
> nodes, but ONLY by their -g (private gluster) hostname.  And the ssh
> fingerprints were not populated, so it would not let me proceed.  After
> messing with this for a bit, I realized that the engine cannot get to the
> nodes via the gluster interface (and as far as I knew, it shouldn't).
> Working late at night, I let myself "hack it up" a bit, and on the engine
> VM, I added /etc/hosts entries for the -g hostnames pointing to the main
> IPs.  It then populated the ssh host keys and let me add them in.  Ok, so
> things appear to be working..kinda.  I noticed at this point that ALL
> aspects of the gui became VERY slow.  Clicking in and typing in any field
> felt like I was on ssh over a satellite link.  Everything felt a bit worse
> than the early days of vSphere....Painfully slow.  but it was still
> working, so I pressed on.

Import host flow lists the peers as gluster understands it, and hence the
-g (private gluster) hostname. Rather than importing the hosts, you should
add the additional hosts using the Add Host flow, and specify the non "-g"
hostname. This ensures that oVirt understands the host via the non-private
hostname. Once the hosts are added, mark the gluster interface so that the
bricks are correctly identified via the -g hostname.