[ovirt-users] import storage domain and import VMs from ovirt 3.6 to 4

jvandewege jvandewege at nieuwland.nl
Tue Jan 3 08:05:10 UTC 2017

On 2-1-2017 22:53, Paul Groeneweg | Pazion wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am finally planning to start our oVirt hosted engine upgrade. I am
> not sure how stable my hosted engine storage is ( it shows wrong
> status in web GUI ) So I arranged a new shared storage and plan to do
> a fresh install ( altough I noticed there is also an option to
> upgrade "hosted-engine --upgrade-appliance" ).
>
> After I installed the oVirt 4 hosted engine on a host node I want to
> move all my running VMs to the new environment. With VMs at first
> running on the current data storage domain. My storage domain is FC based.
>
> My idea is to:
>
> 1. stop all VMs
> 2. detach Storage domain on old ovirt 3.6 environment ( and keep data ).
> 3. import and activate the storage domain on the new ovirt 4 environment.
>
> To prevent any data loss or copy too much data I have the follwoing
> questions:
>
> 1. Is this storage domain import from 3.6 to 4.0 available?
Yes, done it multiple times.

> 2. I read I should import all VMs, this means I need to copy all data
> or is it just a matter of importing a config, so all VM data /image
> remains on the imported storage domain?
I think it copies the info into the database and thats it. It might also
adjust the info on the storagedomain metadata that it is now part of a
new install.

> 3. When for some reason I want to roll back when I have imported the
> storage domain without having any VM imported, can I just detach and
> re-attach the storage domain to the previous 3.6 environment?

That should work too. Only problem you could run into is if the detach
doesn't work for example when your new install suddenly went belly up.
People have had that and you need to adjust the metadata and then you
can import it back into 3.6 or another 4.0 install.

> If there might be a better path to get my VMs to a clean oVirt 4.0
> environment I am glad to hear.

The long way is to really export to an export domain and then import
from it.

Joop