[ovirt-users] PLEASE HELP - oVirt 4.0.5 Instability + Best way to rollback to 4.0.4

Rogério Ceni Coelho rogeriocenicoelho at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 17:40:57 UTC 2017

Hi oVirt ObiWan´s,

Today i try to rollback 4.0.5 to 4.0.4 because some instability with the
following method and i crash on a problem. :-(

I shutdown oVirt Engine and make checkpoint on Engine VM ( Runs on Hyper-V,
don´t ask me way ... ). Rollback vm checkpoint to point in time before
4.0.5 update process and power up ovirt engine vm. Everything ok but, six
virtual machines that i create before this point in time does not exist on
oVirt Engine Database and all came with external-VMNAME and i can not do
nothing on them. I really think (only in my dreams ) that when ovirt engine
goes up and talk with ovirt nodes, all new vm will be automatically
discovered again. The worst thing are that i use SAN Storage Domain and
oVirt use LVM to storage VM disks, so i don´t know how to find vm disks
that ovirt engine does not recognize (external-VMNAME).

After all that, i rollback again to 4.0.5 and every vm are ok now again,
but i want to test this rollback process to 4.0.4 and do this on Production.

I think the right steps are :

1. Run engine-backup  /bin/engine-backup --mode=backup --scope=all
--file=/root/ovirt/`hostname`.`date +%d%m%Y.%H%M%S`.ovirt-engine.bkp
--log=/tmp/ovirt-engine_backup.log
2. Shutdown ovirt engine vm.
3. Make new checkpoint to rollback with something goes wrong
4. Rollback to checkpoint witch 4.0.4
5. Restore engine-backup (from version 4.0.5)
6. Start everything and check if all are ok

This is the right way to rollback from one sub release to another ( 4.0.5
to 4.0.4 ) ???
This checkpoints/snapshots of ovirt-engine VM are the best way to rollback
in time ???

Thanks in advance.