[ovirt-users] unable to start VMs after upgrade

Jim Kusznir jim at palousetech.com
Sat Jan 7 23:02:10 UTC 2017

Hello:

I'm still fairly new to ovirt.  I'm running a 3-node cluster largely built
by Jason Brooks' howto for ovirt+gluster on the contributed docs section of
the ovirt webpage.

I had everything mostly working, and this morning when I logged in, I saw a
new symbol attached to all three of my hosts indicating an upgrade is
available.  So I clicked on egine3 and told it to upgrade.  It migrated my
VMs off, did its upgrade, and everything looked good.  I was able to
migrate a vm or two back, and they continued to function just fine.

Then I tried to upgrade eingine1, which was running my hosted engine.  In
theory, all three engines/hosts were set up to be able to run the engine,
per Jason's instructions.  However, it failed to migrate the engine off
host1, and I realized that I still have the same issue I had on an earlier
incarnation of this cluster: inability to migrate the engine around.  Ok,
I'll deal with that later (with help from this list, hopefully).

I went on about the work I came in to do, and tried to start up a VM.  It
appeared to start, but it never booted.  It did  raise the CPU usage for
that VM, but console was all black, no resize or anything.  Tried several
settings.  This was on a VM I had just powered down.  I noticed it was
starting the VM on engine3, so I did a runonce specifying the vm start on
engine2.  Booted up just fine.  After booting, I could migrate to engine3,
and all was good.

What happened?  I get no error messages, starting any vm on engine3, start
paused, attaching display, then running it, I always get the same thing:
blank console, about 50% cpu usage reported by the web interface, no
response on any network, and by all signs available to me, no actual
booting (reminds me of a PC that doesn't POST).  Simply changing the engine
it starts on to one that has not been upgraded fixes the problem.

I'd greatly appreciate your help:

1) how to fix it so the upgraded engine can start VMs again
2) How to fix the cluster so the HostedEngine can migrate between hosts
(and I'm able to put host1 in maintence mode).

Ovirt 4 series, latest in repos as of last weekend (Jan1).

--Jim