[ovirt-users] Dashboard freezes, locks up cannot perform any tasks

Alexander Wels awels at redhat.com
Mon Jan 9 16:55:06 UTC 2017

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 4:49:52 PM EST Bill Bill wrote:
> > Define insanely slow, is it putting up the spinner for loading? If so you
> > can
>
> switch tabs while its doing its thing.
>

> It’s back now – the issue is we’ve been testing it for the past year to year
> and a half to eventually move into production starting immediately with
> about 100 VM’s. My concern is if there’s a break in connectivity to
> storage, nic failure, switch failure or some other issue, oVirt goes
> berserk and it feels like hours just to get the VM’s started back up.

> At first I had to force umount the stale connections, that’s fine with a few
> hosts, but we’re planning to have a large number of hosts and storage
> domains and doing that across 10, 20, 40, 50 or large number of hypervisors
> manually would be an issue.

> > If so you can  switch tabs while its doing its thing.
>

> Nope, the browser locks up (all browsers) – the cursor goes from the little
> hand cursor to the default pointer from the OS – can’t click anything, tabs
> aren’t responsive etc. I can refresh the browser and get back in however,
> once I click something, it does the same thing.

> > In /share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins there should be a file called
> > dashboard.json, rename it to something that doesn't end in json and
> > reload the
>
> webadmin, that should disable the dashboard.
>

> Does this disable the whole dashboard completely? IE can’t shutdown/boot
> VM’s etc or is the dashboard.json controlling something else?

All it does is disable the main tab that is added for showing the dashboard.
If there is something in the dashboard that is messing up your browser, then
the rename will make that go away (together with the dashboard obviously).

> All that said, I am testing at the moment with a single storage device – all
> flash, CentOS7 plain NFS – a yum update is what caused the break in storage
> resulting in everything going haywire. I was able to get the main storage
> (3 domains, mapped to the same server for testing) by deleting the checksum
> in the meta file.

> Ideally, my final tests would be with multiple storage devices however, I’m
> out of rack space for a few more days so I can only finish testing with the
> single nas at the moment. Perhaps the single nas could be the root of the
> problem as oVirt seems to always want some domain up to make the master.

 I have about 15 VM’s that are paused due to the storage issue
> > that happened. The has since been resolved and all storage is active
> > however, I can’t start the VM’s because the dashboard is insanely slow
> > and just locks up. I’ve restarted the ovirt-engine multiple times with
> > the same results.
>
> Define insanely slow, is it putting up the spinner for loading? If so you
> can
 switch tabs while its doing its thing.

> > Is there some troubleshooting to perform or is this a known issue,
> > something
 that will be resolved?

> Its not a known issue, but if you need to get at the VMs right now and the
> dashboard is in your way, you can always disable the UI plugin that adds
> it.
 But I suspect there is some other issue that is causing the problem.