[ovirt-users] Cannot create VM with custom memory amount

Logan Kuhn logankuhn510 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 17:00:23 UTC 2017

I'm working on a program that should take a set of variables for the name,
ram and disk space as well as how many disks (IE, 3 at 10, 15 and 20GB).
Most of that works, but if I try and specify an integer value for memory it
will seemingly always fail.  I'm using Python 3, code and error are below.

def create_vm(name, ram, cpu=None):
        garbled_passwd = 'd3lrazNwa2wjUnI='

        logging.basicConfig(level=logging.DEBUG,
filename=os.path.join(baseDir, 'list_vms.log'))

        # This example will connect to the server and create a new virtual
machine:

        # Create the connection to the server:
        connection = sdk.Connection(
            url='https://ovirt.example.com/ovirt-engine/api',
            username='admin at internal',
            password=base64.b64decode(garbled_passwd).decode('utf-8'),
            ca_file='/etc/pki/tls/certs/examplecert.pem',
            debug=True,
            log=logging.getLogger(),
        )

        # Get the reference to the "vms" service:
        vms_service = connection.system_service().vms_service()

        # Use the "add" method to create a new virtual machine:
        cpu = types.CpuTopology(cores=2, sockets=1)

        vms_service.add(
            types.Vm(
                name=name,
                memory=400,
                cpu=types.Cpu(topology=cpu),
                cluster=types.Cluster(
                    name='Default',
                ),
                template=types.Template(
                    name='Blank',
                ),
            ),
        )

        # Close the connection to the server:
        connection.close()

ovirtsdk4.Error: Fault reason is "Operation Failed". Fault detail is
"[Cannot add VM. Physical Memory Guaranteed cannot exceed Memory Size.]".
HTTP response code is 400.

The Template is unmodified from installation time.  I know the other
settings are right because if I comment out the memory line then it creates
a VM with the memory value from the "Blank" template.

Regards,
Logan