[ovirt-users] Ovirt host activation and lvm looping with high CPU load trying to mount iSCSI storage

Mark Greenall m.greenall at iontrading.com
Tue Jan 17 11:17:36 UTC 2017

Hi Nir,

Thanks for your continuing efforts with this. It's really appreciated.

re: number of storage domains, we'll plan a review of the underlying storage configuration to try and optimise things better. Do you have a recommended Storage Domain Size?

Still running with the modified settings mentioned in my last mail. I'd like to try and work with yourselves to find a set of configuration variables we are all happy works with Ovirt and the Equallogic.

>> 1. Please enable debug logging in sanlock log:
>>
>> edit /etc/sanlock/sanlock.conf and set:
>> logfile_priority = 7

Enabled, rebooted and tried another session this morning:

09:19 - Host Activated
09:21 - Non Operational (Cannot access the storage Domain Unknown)
09:25 - Connecting
09:31 - Manually rebooted host as getting nowhere.
Throughout the above I see lots of LVM processes.

I've attached all the logs for the above session. It may be that the stripped back settings are now causing another problem as this doesn't look like the same cycle I was previously seeing. I also see iSCSI connection errors in the messages file too.

Multipath -ll shows a single path to the devices now rather than the two I previously had.
Iscsiadm shows a single session for each domain as connected but spread between the Equallogic eth0 and eth1 interfaces. Previously I had two sessions for each domain, one connected to eth0 and one connected to eth1.
Pvdisplay, vgdisplay and lvdisplay show a lot of LVM's and all seem to be 'available'

>> 2. Try vdsm patch eliminating the delays in the monitoring thread

When I check the gerrit link I see two monitor.py files (monitor_new.py.zip and storage_monitor_test_new.py.zip) which one should I be testing?

Thanks,
Mark