[ovirt-users] Ovirt host activation and lvm looping with high CPU load trying to mount iSCSI storage

Mark Greenall m.greenall at iontrading.com
Wed Jan 18 14:39:59 UTC 2017

Hi,

Just wanted to update the status this morning.

After experimenting with various settings I've essentially now phased back on all our iSCSI settings, which got us back to the symptoms seen in the original call.

This morning I applied the monitor.py patch and out of three activation attempts (with a maintenance switch + reboot in-between) the host came online and stayed online twice. The second attempt didn't seem to follow the same activation profile as attempt 1 and 3 and failed pretty quickly:

09:56 - Host Activated
09:58 - VDSM command failed: Heartbeat exceeded
09:58 - Status set to up (although it actually wasn't)
09:59 - Host is non responsive
10:00 - cannot access the storage Domain Unknown
10:00 - is not responding
10:02 - Heartbeat exceeded
And that pattern continued. I also had the repeating cycle of LVM processes and increasing CPU load during this attempt.

After the third attempt the host remained up for around 1hr 45 minutes and then started repeating a cycle similar to the above sequence.

I've attached the logs from the failed attempt this morning. Let me know if you want anything else.

Thanks,
Mark