[ovirt-users] oVirt Python SDK on Ubuntu

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 14:11:19 UTC 2017

On 01/23/2017 03:05 PM, Ondra Machacek wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas at ecarnot.net> wrote:
>> Le 23/01/2017 à 13:38, Ondra Machacek a écrit :

>>> Note that the wiki page is about SDK version 3, which will be deprecated
>>> in 4.2.
>>> When you run 'easy_install ovirt-engine-sdk-python' it will install
>>> Python SDK version
>>> 4, which is different from SDK version 3.
>>

>> You're right, and I haven't noticed : import ovirtsdk4 is working.
>>

>>> You may find few examples of Python SDK version 4 here:
>>>
>>>  https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-sdk/tree/master/sdk/examples
>>

>> Yes, this list of examples is a treasure, and I'm grateful to the
>> maintainers.
>>
>> Alas, though we already have one DC in V4, most of our production DCs are
>> still in V3 for one year, and I have to maintain them.
>> So far, I have no clue how to add ovirtsdk v3 to my Ubuntu.
>
> You just need to specify which version you would like to install, in your case:
>
>  easy_install ovirt-engine-sdk-python==3.6.9.2
>

>> Another point : is the compatibility between ovirtsdk and oVirt completely
>> obvious (ie 3 -> 3 and 4 -> 4), or is there any kind of backward
>> compatibility?
>
> Unfortunatelly no, there is no backward compatibility between SDK v3 and v4.

Just to clarify this:

1. Version 3 of the SDK only works with version 3 of the API.

2. Version 4 of the SDK only works with version 4 of the API.

3. Version 3 of the engine only supports version 3 of the API.

4. Versions 4.0 and 4.1 of the engine support both version 3 and 4 of
the API. This means that with version 4 of the engine you can use both
versions of the SDK. This will change with version 4.2 of the engine.
There we will remove support for version 3 of the API, so you will need
to use version 4 of the SDK.