[ovirt-users] Actual downtime during migration?

Doug Ingham dougti at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 12:49:08 UTC 2017

Hi Gianluca,
 My educated guess...When you live migrate a VM, its state in memory is
copied over to the new host, but the VM still remains online during this
period to minimise downtime. Once its state in memory is fully copied to
the new host, the VM is paused on the original host, its memory
resynchronised one last time & then brought up on the new host.
So whilst the entire process took 39 seconds, actual downtime was only
133ms.

Doug

On 27 January 2017 at 09:34, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
> I was testing put host into maintenance on 4.0.6, with 1 VM running.
> It correctly completes the live migration of the VM and I see this event
> in pane:
>
> Migration completed (VM: ol65, Source: ovmsrv06, Destination: ovmsrv05,
> Duration: 39 seconds, Total: 39 seconds, Actual downtime: 133ms)
>
> What is considered as "Actual downtime"?
>
> Thanks,
> Gianluca

Doug