[ovirt-users] Seamless SAN HA failovers with oVirt?

Matthew Trent Matthew.Trent at lewiscountywa.gov
Tue Jun 6 17:45:19 UTC 2017

Thanks for the replies, all!

Yep, Chris is right. TrueNAS HA is active/passive and there isn't a way around that when failing between heads.

Sven: In my experience with iX support, they have directed me to reboot the active node to initiate failover. There's "hactl takeover" and "hactl giveback" commends, but reboot seems to be their preferred method.

VMs going into a paused state and resuming when storage is back online sounds great. As long as oVirt's pause/resume isn't significantly slower than the 30-or-so seconds the TrueNAS takes to complete its failover, that's a pretty tolerable interruption for my needs. So my next questions are:

1) Assuming the SAN failover DOES work correctly, can anyone comment on their experience with oVirt pausing/thawing VMs in an NFS-based active/passive SAN failover scenario? Does it work reliably without intervention? Is it reasonably fast?

2) Is there anything else in the oVirt stack that might cause it to "freak out" rather than gracefully pause/unpause VMs?

2a) Particularly: I'm running hosted engine on the same TrueNAS storage. Does that change anything WRT to timeouts and oVirt's HA and fencing and sanlock and such?

2b) Is there a limit to how long oVirt will wait for storage before doing something more drastic than just pausing VMs?

--
Matthew Trent
Network Engineer