[ovirt-users] chrony or ntp ?

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Fri Jun 9 11:21:14 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Fabrice Bacchella <
fabrice.bacchella at orange.fr> wrote:

> Other strange dependencies:
> rpm -q --requires vdsm
>
> returns:
> sos
> tree
> NetworkManager-config-server
>
> I don't use NetworkManager-config-server and never used it. There is just
> this lonely components.
> I'm running Centos, not Redhat, what 'sos' is good for in this case ?

vdsm ships a sos plugin for collecting logs useful for debug issues. Here
the dependency on sos is needed for ensuring the directory tree owned by
sos is in place for installing the plugin.
Also, ovirt-log-collector assumes sos is installed on the hosts.
Yes, sos is still useful, I often ask users to provide a sos report in
order to understand what's going wrong.

tree is needed by vdsm sos plugin, see https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/555/

> There is a lot of other tools like openvswitch's and iscsi's that are not
> used in my setup. But I can understand that they are always installed. A
> modular approach would have been better but much more complicated to
> implement.
>
> which, every one use it , even if it's not the best solution instead of
> the bash builtin 'type -p' (bash is part of the requires) or more portable
> 'command -v', it's all explained at: https://unix.stackexchange.
> com/a/85250. But I must live with this.
>
> > Le 9 juin 2017 à 11:05, Fabrice Bacchella <fabrice.bacchella at orange.fr>
> a écrit :
> >
> > I haven't switched from ntp to chrony. So I have configured my puppet to
> remove it as it's now part of default installation of rhel.
> >
> > I works well with everything except on vdsm, since last upgrade:
> >
> > # yum erase chrony
> > ..
> > Removing for dependencies:
> > vdsm                                              x86_64
>                4.19.15-1.el7.centos
>  @ovirt-4.1                               2.6 M
> > vdsm-hook-vmfex-dev                               noarch
>                4.19.15-1.el7.centos
>  @ovirt-4.1                                21 k
> >

> > Why vdsm depends on chrony ? Any time synchronisation solution is good.
> Is that the role of ovirt to chose for me ?

SANDRO BONAZZOLA

ASSOCIATE MANAGER, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, EMEA ENG VIRTUALIZATION R&D

Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
<https://red.ht/sig>
TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>